Upcoming Events
Mon  |  September 30  |  10:00 am
October Board Meeting (During Conference)
Mon  |  September 30  |  9:00 am
Iowa Recycling and Solid Waste Management Conference
Mon  |  October 21  |  12:00 am

Spring Heavy Equipment Training Application Deadline

« Return to the Event List

Application Deadline Extended to May 1!

About the Training

ISOSWO is sponsoring and subsidizing a 3-day heavy equipment training event hosted by Metro Waste Authority at Metro Park East Landfill in Mitchellville, Iowa. This training is offered to new operators, or those operators seeking refresher training on machine safety and operation.

The training will be held May 14, 15 and 16, 2019.

Training Details: The event will be taught by instructors from Associated Training Services (ATS), based out of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. ATS has been training heavy equipment operators for over fifty years. Their expertise has helped thousands of equipment operators be safer and more productive. ATS has contracted with organizations throughout the country to deliver specialized curricula on all types of earth moving, excavation and material handling equipment.  ATS is providing ISOSWO with face to face training (hands-on and classroom) and curriculum that is being customized to meet our solid waste operator’s specific needs.  

The training will provide participants with hands-on opportunity in dozers; haul trucks; excavators, and a landfill compactor. Loaner machines are being provided by Ziegler CAT and John Deere, and Metro Waste Authority. Participants will also receive classroom instruction from ATS, on basic safety principles of heavy equipment operation. Brian Seals, WCSC and Laura Routh, CRLCSWA will lead sessions on landfill safety, efficiency, and best practices for operators. There will be time for networking and onsite tours. 

Application Information

The training is limited to 12 participants. ISOSWO will subsidize 75% of the cost, per participant. Applicants will pay the remaining 25%, through a fee of $130/per person. Travel and lodging expenses are the sole responsibility of the applicant’s employer.

Eligibility: Only employees of permitted solid waste facilities in Iowa may apply. Applications from consultants; contract engineers; management staff or regulatory authorities are not eligible for this round of training.

ISOSWO member organization will be given preference, and all sites will be limited to two (2) participants unless additional slots become available. In that case, preference for additional applicants will be given to host sites, and then those applicants geographically closest to their nearest training site.

Only those applicants who commit to the full, 3-day training will be considered; single day or partial participation will not be allowed. Only complete applications including fee payment will be considered.  

The deadline for applying is May 1 or until all spots are filled.  Applications must include complete application form and payment of $130/per attendee. 

Instructions: Please print legibly. In order to be considered, each applicant must submit a completed application and include a check payment for $130, made out to “ISOSWO”. Fee payment will be returned for any applicant who is not selected. Send completed applications to:

Laura Routh
1954 County Home Road
Marion, Iowa 52302.

Questions may be emailed to lrouth@solidwasteagency.org

« Return to the Event List